Transfer Credit Guidelines

Purdue’s Transfer Credit Philosophy
  1. Transfer credit is course credit represented on an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution.

  2. Purdue’s academic departments determine equivalency to Purdue courses based on comparable learning outcomes.

  3. Only those courses for which you receive C- grades or better will be considered for transfer.

  4. Equivalent courses will count toward degree requirements just like corresponding Purdue courses do. And just like all approved transfer courses, the credit transfers but grades do not.

Undergraduate Transfer Credit Policies
  • Purdue completes credit evaluations after admitted students have provided their official college transcripts. Students and their Purdue academic advisors receive credit evaluation reports. Current students can view transfer credit via their myPurdue student portal.

  • Only credit transfers; grades do not.

  • Not all courses will transfer and/or satisfy degree requirements for every major. You should consult with your academic advisor for additional information about transferring credit for your major.

  • Transfer credit that was earned 10 or more years prior to your Purdue entry term will not be accepted, in accordance with Student Regulations regarding degree requirements.  Any exceptions to this rule must be approved on a case-by-case basis by an Associate Dean (or approved designee).

  • Courses listed as 1XXXX, 2XXXX, etc., transfer as “undistributed credit,” rather than Purdue course equivalencies.  You may consult with your academic advisor to determine how these courses might apply to a plan of study and meet specific degree requirements.

  • Credit listed as “pass,” “satisfactory” or “credit” (no letter grade) will not transfer. For graded coursework, grades must be C- or better.

  • No credit is granted for military training programs. A minimum of six months active duty military service is required to receive credit for military duty. Please submit a copy of your DD-214 (or an LES, if still active duty).

  • Credit by exam from another institution does not transfer to Purdue. For credit from exams such as AP or CLEP, you must provide official score reports from the testing service; the University does not accept this type of credit from another school’s transcript.

  • The only way to replace grades from Purdue courses is to retake the course at Purdue (or at one of our regional campuses or IUPUI). Course credit from another school does not replace grades for equivalent Purdue courses.

  • Graduate-level coursework will not transfer to an undergraduate record.

  • Credit is granted only once for duplicate courses. This does not apply to repeatable courses.

  • Purdue’s School of Nursing does not accept credits from non-baccalaureate nursing programs. Please contact School of Nursing at 765-494-4008 with questions.

  • Agriculture and natural resources courses from non-land grant institutions will be sent to the College of Agriculture for evaluation. Courses will be loaded at a later date if approved.

  • If course credit is awarded by a regionally accredited institution and you provide an official transcript from that institution, Purdue will evaluate the coursework for transfer credit regardless of the method of delivery (including online, dual- or concurrent-credit courses taught in a high school). This is policy became effective July 1, 2014, and does not apply retroactively to dual, concurrent and online coursework completed before that date.

Purdue University Office of Admissions, 475 Stadium Mall Dr., West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-1776, Hearing impaired only: 1-800-743-3333

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by the Office of Admissions

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the Office of Admissions at 765-494-1776 and/or